We are open for submissions!
We manage both free and fee-based submission queues. Naturally, authors prefer the free submissions queue. Occasionally, high volume leads us to close the free queue to catch up. In those cases, we re-open the free queue on the following Sunday.
You can always check the status of the free queue on our website:
Paying a fee does not influence whether we accept or decline your submission, but it does move your story to the top of the processing queue.
Commitments to authors:
- We produce a weekly podcast of fictional short stories called SunLit Story Time. We also publish the podcast stories on our website.
- We pay the author of our weekly podcast story one hundred dollars.
- We will respond to your submission with a yes or no within eight calendar days.
- Sometimes, we like a story but don’t have room for it on the podcast because we only schedule out for eight weeks. In these situations, we put the story on a waiting list.
- If we decline your submission, we will tell you exactly why.
1. Feel Great Test: This guideline defines us. We publish stories that make us feel great when we read them. No exceptions. This does not necessarily mean a happy ending. Forrest Gump did not have a thoroughly happy ending, but we feel great every time we watch the movie.
2. Length: Minimum of 1250 words. Maximum of 2500 words. These are strict limits. We use them to govern minimum to maximum length of our podcasts.
3. Quality: Your story must be well written and engaging. This is a subjective guideline. We are not asking for literary fiction. Most popular fiction is well written. To get an idea of what we’re talking about, read samples from three successful popular fiction authors.
4. Editing: We’re not asking for perfection. If Grammarly likes your manuscript, it will pass our test, but if your story is riddled with spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors, we will decline it.
5. The Don’t List: We cater to a mainstream audience and hope to offend no one. To that end, your story must avoid a few No-Nos:
- Profanity: soft words like hell or damn might slip through. No f-bombs or s-bombs or anything close to that.
- Violence: excessive bleeding, assaults, explosions, and gunshots. Descriptions of the forgoing or similar events will earn a rejection.
- Sex/nudity: Your characters can have explicit sex but not in our story.
- Religious message: There are great places for these kinds of stories, but we’re not one of them.
- Political message. We’re not trying to influence elections so don’t burden your submission with political rhetoric.
6. Rights: We will publish previously published works; however, you must have the rights to assign to us to publish your story. We do not ask for first rights or exclusive rights.
We accept simultaneous submissions. We will accept up to two submissions at one time from an author. If you have more than two stories to submit, wait to hear from us on your first two submissions before submitting more stories.
We accept stories for review in the following file types: .docx, .doc, .rtf, or .pdf. Please use Times New Roman font, double space your story, and put the number of words at the top of the document.